Thursday, August 14, 2008

THE END OF FREE TOILETS

WC

 

In the US, one hardly ever thinks about having to pay to use public toilet facilities. Of course, that is not so in most parts of the world. In Latvia, there are many public water closets (WC) that are pay...usually either 15 or 20 santimes (about 30-40 US cents).

It was with much consternation that when I went to my favorite WC today in Riga that I found it was now a pay toilet. You've got to be kidding me! Not only was this previously a free WC but it was also clean and fully stocked with all of the essentials that a person needs when doing their business.

This WC happens to be in Stockmann's, a large Swedish upscale store that is centrally located between the bus and train stations. There is a also a great grocery store as well as our favorite movie theater. One of our favorite things to do on our day off is to take the train to Riga, sightsee and then take in a movie. Of course, that also includes a quick trip to the fourth floor of Stockmann's for the use of their restrooms. It was free, it was clean, it didn't smell too bad...well, I guess we now have two of three left.

What makes Stockmann's WC better than the bus or train station? A couple of reasons stand out. First, at least in the men's room at the stations, is that the janitorial staff is all women. It doesn't matter if every urinal is occupied and there is a waiting line, the ladies just go about their mopping and cleaning. For me, that just doesn't seem right....I assume after you work around men using the urinals for a few months you just go about your job, but is is still strange for me. The first time I walked in, went to the urinal and then looked up and there stood a lady, I was just kind of like "Whhaaaatt, uh am I in the right room?".

The second part of the whole deal that is strange is that when you pay the lady to go in, there is a roll of toilet paper sitting there on the counter. If you are going to need to use the paper, you unroll the appropriate amount and take it with you. It is sometimes funny to see a 'rookie pay bathroom customer' ahead of you and they are obviously needing to get to the toilet quickly. They throw their money down and head off to the stall and close the door. About a minute later, the door busts open and they go running back to the pay counter to get some toilet paper as there will be none otherwise.

Now the question is whether I continue my loyalty at Stockmann's even though I think they are gouging me...or do I go to the stations and have to avoid the clean-up ladies while I do my business?

Life is never boring in a foreign land....

No comments: