Tuesday, August 26, 2008

3-PUNKT CAMP Day 6

Last day of camp!

We were scheduled to start our skill challenges early today but we decided to postpone for an hour or so. The USA men's basketball team is playing Spain in the Gold Medal round at 9:30am so we are going to watch the game on the one (and only) TV that we have.

This has really worked out great. Each coach spoke one day during camp to the entire group about a topic. My talk on Wednesday was on team work. I went into what a makes a great team, sacrifice, goals, team-player concept, etc.  I also spent time comparing and contrasting this year's USA basketball team with the 2004 Olympics team that we sent to Greece. I had a few video clips prepared that we could watch and the kids enjoyed seeing them. It was good to see that what was emphasized for the 2008 team led them to success (team work).

I also spoke on how God wanted them on His team. We run into so many different ideas here about who and what people think God is. I shared with them some of God's real attributes and I hope I was able to encourage them to seek Him. A few of our campers are Christians but only a handful.

As we watched the game, the USA team didn't let me down. It was a great game and the kids enjoyed seeing some of the players that we had talked about on Wednesday.

After lunch, skills challenges and award ceremonies we are headed home. It was a great camp and I know the kids enjoyed themselves. For the first time in a long while, I did not have to worry about taking care of all of the details. I could concentrate on coaching and let someone else take care of all of the other things that go into holding a successful camp of this size. It was definitely nice for a change of pace.

Now, it is good bye to the kids, exchanging emails address and heading home.

An hour by bus to Riga, get to the train station, then two hours by train to Cesis. I'll be home by 8:30pm and maybe Laura will have some good homemade Latvian food for me!

 

100_5878

Watching the USA - Spain basketball game on Sunday morning...