Saturday, August 16, 2008

COACHING AT THE PUNK(T) CAMP

I never really thought I would be involved with a 'punk' camp but yes, I am. Actually in Latvian, 'punkt' means point. Next week we start on the last camp of the summer called "3-Punkt Nometne" or "3-Point Camp". I'm really glad to be working with this group because it will allow networking for some athlete/coaching projects that we want to get started in the future.

The camp is hosted by St. Matthews Church but there is also involvement with the Barons, one of the top-division men's pro teams. They will send some of their players out to speak to our campers. As usual, I'm the old guy on the staff but we have 3 or 4 younger coaches that have played or currently play in the Latvian or other European leagues. We have an out-of-the way school that is set-up for this type of camp activity with gyms and outdoor courts.

There's nothing like spending a week working with kids on basketball skills. Basketball: morning, noon and night. I'm looking forward to it; I know it will be a good week in preparing young people physically and most importantly, spiritually.

If we have an internet connection there, I will try to send some updates next week.

 

3 punkts 2

No comments: