Saturday, July 19, 2008

BACK IN THE USSR

I leave today for several days of travel in Russia. I was approved for my visa on Friday, so we are ready to roll.

My traveling partner this time is Steve Akin and we will be literally rolling to Arkhangelsk, Russia. Rolling as in riding on the Russian railroad.

My Latvian language skills are improving but still have a long way to go. However, when we were buying our tickets I know I heard the lady say something close to "divdesmit piecas stundas" which is 25 hours (one-way). We will be in a compartment that will be shared by two other people for the trip from Riga, Latvia to Moscow and then on to Archangelsk. (click here from Russian map) Arkhangelsk is actually fairly close to the Arctic Circle.

Twenty-five hours in one small space on a train loaded with people that do not speak English. The brochure mentioned microwaves, video TV, dining cars, turn-down bed service, fresh fruit and concierge service. Of course, that is the first class section. Steve-O and I will be back with the common (just like us) people in carriage car number 8 (exactly where the old caboose car would have been). A small bench seat for each of us and then a fold-down bunk will be our home. We've loaded up on hard cheese, cup-of-soup, coffee packets, potato chips and chocolate bars. Steve also bought some salami. I don't know if that will make him a friend or foe with our fellow riders.

So now I'm thinking about what I should hope (and pray) for concerning our compartment sharers. Do we want Russians so we can learn a few words and a little of their culture; but then you have those long awkward pauses where no one knows what to say (or how)? How about a grandmother type that has stocked up on some great food and she is willing to trade some of her home-made delectables in exchange for my fix-in-a-cup soup? It's kind of selfish of me, but I really would like for the young babies to all be in another car but I could certainly enjoy having some cute kids. If my room-mates turn out to be anti-social I've got a few paperback novels to pass the hours. I'm positive we'll have a great time, no matter who we are paired with. (How many other people on the train are hoping they don't get paired with two old guys from Texas???)

Anyway, it will be quite different than an usual airplane flight, stay tuned for details.

We are heading to Arkhangelsk to see if Pastor Nicoli needs help and encourage him in any way possible. The Baptist church in Arkhangelsk has been a sister church to Athens-FBC for quite some time and we value the relationship. Originally, we had intended to make this a joint Latvian-American trip but that will have to be rescheduled for next year.

Please remember Laura as she stays back in Cesis and takes care of the Soup Kitchen, church activities and all of the other daily business requirements.

Labi cau!

No comments: