Sunday, June 14, 2009

HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!

On the way to the airport we battled torrential rains and wind and it looked like there was no way we would be able to fly out of DFW on time. Steve Akin was kind enough to take us to the airport and drive through the storm. Texas has been hit with lots of wind, thunderstorms and rain from Wednesday night onward.

As often happens, our four bags were stuffed with every item imaginable that we can't get in Latvia. Everything from winter clothes (cheaper in the USA) to American DVDs were crammed in and I knew we were going to be paying some overweight charges. From the look on Laura's face I knew that she was serious that we needed everything that was packed and I might as well pay the overweight allowance.

As we get up to the KLM window, I give the guy our passports and he starts pecking on the computer keys. After a couple of minutes, he looks at me brightly and says "Have I got a deal for you today!". Ding, ding, ding, my mental monetary alarm starts ringing. He says,  "For 25,000 frequent flyer miles and $450 you can upgrade to business (first) class." We have accumulated quite a few flyer miles in the past three years but not any money so I said "I'll give you the 25,000 miles but I won't pay any money." He said he would check with his manager and be right back. Next thing I know, he returns saying "Congratulations, you are flying business class today!".

For the past seven years I have been fortunate to fly several times a year but I have never been up in the front of the plane. I would always just get a glimpse of what was happening up there before the attendant snatched the curtain close. Plus, with my long legs anything would be better than the tight seats we are usually in.

We also found out that you get an extra 20 pounds per bag on a business class ticket so we weren't going to have to pay any overweight fees. How blessed can we be?

Business class was just as good as I had imagined. Seats that fully recline, the best service from the flight attendants, great choices of food. It was by far the most restful trip we have ever had on the nine-hour flight to Amsterdam.

Sometimes when I'm about to check-in at an airport I mentally have to prepare to be relaxed because you just know things are going to change (seats, flights, etc.) and usually not for the better.

But Thursday, wow, what a surprise. We were definitely being watched out for. From not even being sure we could take off in the storm, to being upgraded, to not having to pay overweight charges; everything was fantastic. The sun came out before we lifted off and the weather quickly became a non-concern. I was sipping fresh squeezed orange juice by the time we were over Texarkana.

I once saw a Seinfeld episode about Jerry flying first class. His comment was that once you've flown first class...well, you can never go back to coach. We can't afford to fly first class every time but God surely blessed us by putting us there on Thursday.

Have I got a deal for you! Yes!

 

(I think this is how Laura and I looked on the plane!)

 

No comments: