Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SITTING IN PRISON

prison2 It's 2:30pm on a Tuesday so that means I'm sitting in the Cesis Boys' Prison.

In front of me I see the backs of 10 boys in their blue uniforms, sitting in the uncomfortable pews of the small chapel.

Why are they here? They could have made the choice to go to the gym for recreation, could have volunteered for some clean-up and snow shoveling duties, could have been picked for some more psychological testing but they decided to come here.

I spoke a few minutes earlier on having a relationship with God, using my lack of Latvian as an illustration of how to talk to God. Most of the boys were attentive but really, most were ready to see today's video.

As I closed my devotional I asked if there were any questions. One of the boys questioned, "Why do you come here to just speak a few words each week?" I just told him that we felt that was what God wanted us to do. Any more questions?

That was one of those moments that I wished I could turn back the clock. Why didn't I ask HIM "Why do you come here each week to hear my few words and watch a video"?

"Why do you come here instead of going to the gym? Why do you come to chapel rather than getting outside and sweeping snow for a few minutes? What are you looking for when you come here? What do you hope to find here?"

Why do I go? To do what God has led me to do. To share God's love. Is it doing any good? I really don't know.

Why does he come? He's trying to find God, he's trying to find if there really is a God, he's coming because he's seeking.

I pray that we will both successful.

No comments: