Tuesday, June 3, 2008

NO HOT WATER

One of the things I enjoy in life is a  long hot shower. As with too many things in my life I just take it for granted that other people are able to enjoy these same comforts.

In the Boys' Prison where we work they recently changed the schedule to have 'wash' day moved from Saturday to Wednesday. Being the naive Texan that I am, I thought 'wash' day was when the boys did their clothes washing. I found out today that it is when the boys wash. They have showers available every day but only on 'wash' day do they have HOT water. Can you imagine taking cold showers (and I mean really cold) several times a week? There is no hot water at all in their dorm (prison) bathrooms. On 'wash' day they go to the bath house for the hot shower.

To be honest, I have sometimes felt that the boys inside here need to be a little more concerned with their personal hygiene. But, having coached boys for over thirty years and raising four of my own, I know they will sometimes let cleanliness slide. I now have a new found respect for the boys in this prison because I don't think I could face taking a cold shower every morning just so I could smell a little bit better to others.

God has a way of making me realize how small and sheltered I have made the world I live in. Thankfully, he helps me to understand that not everyone has had the many opportunities and the good life that I have enjoyed. He also helps me to realize just how much these kids here need a friend that will continue to visit them, continue to pray for them, continue to love on them, no matter what may happen.

So, the next time you take a hot shower please remember my boys in Cesis Boys Prison. Don't pray for them to get hot water, pray that they might receive the Living Water that Jesus promises.

 

Paldies,

-Mark-

 

PS: Ludzu, ludzu to those of you who have sent money to pay for balls, sports equipments and games for the boys. I took 8 balls in today and they were so happy to get them. Last week they were down to 4 balls for 150 boys and there were way too many boys having to wait their turn to play. It will be much better after today's contribution.

No comments: