Saturday, July 14, 2007

Saturday -- Market Day in Cesis


Cesis has an open-air market that is well stocked every day but on Saturday it is especially full. Farm fresh vegetables, berries, mushrooms, clothing, motorcycle parts, flowers, farm equipment, small pets, animals and just about anything else is available. It is a great place to just watch as there is always something going on.

Laura and I went to get some blueberries and ended up getting carrots, onions (of some sort!), berries and sausage. The market has an indoor meat-selling area that is clean and smells kind of like a smokehouse. We bought some of the smoked sausage. We just kind of point and ask for 1 lats worth (about $2.00USD). Sometimes we get what we think we are ordering, sometimes not!

So, when we got home Laura cooked a big soup with all of the fresh ingredients from the market. As the Latvians would say, it was 'garsig'. The cake that went along with it was topped by the fresh blueberries. A pretty good meal whether you are in Cesis or Athens.

To all of those that have asked: YES, we got our bed! It was delivered in three boxes on Wednesday. After the guy got them inside the flat, he handed Laura the receipt to sign. I started asking him wasn't he going to put the bed together? His English was similar to my Latvian ... I repeated it again and he snapped his fingers, smiled and went to the first box and stated opening it up. I'm thinking it won't be too long before I'm stretched out and enjoying my new 200 x 140cm bed and mattress. He digs around a minute or so and then hands me the directions to putting it all together ... smiles and is out the door.

Laura and I start looking at the directions and we figure out that it is saying that an average person can do this job in 40 minutes. I am not too proud to say that we aren't average ... 5 hours later and I'm laying down to enjoy my new 200 x 140 cm bed. It really is so much better than the hide-a-beds we had been using. And, as an added bonus we are still married after working on this project for the 5-hours.

Here are some photos from the market:














Have a good Sunday! Atta!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: